Tuesday 13 March 2012

English by Heart.

Out of the 1, 2, 3, 4 countries I have had the amazing opportunity to call home, England reigns as my (current) favorite. 

www.pinterest.com

Interestingly, when telling Englanders this - I am met with a disgruntled response. I tend to pin it down to the fact that majority of us dream that everywhere else in the world is far more desirable than the place where one has lived all their life. However come July, when the time comes to bid adieu to the land of K-Middy and tea - tears will longingly fall on my cheeks. 

Why I LOVE England

1. The Royals

www.pinterest.com

Yes, I do own a commemorative tea-towel marking the wedding of Kate and William. 
Yes, I did pin it next to my bed.
Yes, I am proud of it
Queens, Kings, Princesses and Princes. 
With the amount of royal scandal which occurs, we sure do have ourselves one dramatic modern-day fairy-tale!
Although I might not have a blog dedicated to every fashionable choice Kate has made, I am a true fan of this newly crowned princess. She has grace, style and beauty and bar the fact that I have never spoken a word to her in my life, I am just going to assume that she is the nicest person in the world.


2. London

www.pinterest.com

Truth be told, I really disliked London when I first came to visit. It just was not my scene. My 17-year old self just was not feeling the mixture of accents, tubes and general commotion which took place in London-town. Maybe that was because I had been living in New Zealand for the past 5 years? 
It did not take me long to fall in love. 
Carnaby Street
Selfridges
Fortnum & Mason
Covenant Garden
Call me one to follow the tourists but I stand by the fact that that tour-books have got it right. Day and night the city is amazing. It might not have the 'city never sleeps' vibe that N.Y.C carries, but it sure is quintessential. 

3. Music

www.google.com/images

Need I say more?
I have been a fan of the English music scene long before I came to settle in this area of the world. Yes, the artists I love are loved by millions but that does not stop me from appreciating the fact that the Brits have got it going on when it comes to authentic and untouched talent. Rarely are we seeing over-vocalized, over-commercialized pop-Queens - but instead artists who sing about their experiences, feelings and most importantly artists who can actually belt out a tune. 

Check these kids out!

4. Fashion

www.pinterest.com

Is there any other country which can make the simple gum-boot a staple, must-have item?
I think not!
Although most assume top-hats and tweed when thinking of English style, I think freedom. Never before have I lived in a place where people are allowed to express themselves through fashion without falling under the watchful eye of the mass-'norm.' Of course there are trends, but you decide which trend you follow. Me? Leopard print is my current go-to. I am a sucker for a bit of leopard. Might be a tad outrageous for a simple-folk, yet in London I am simply a wee fashionista ready to be identified for my taste in the animal print. 

5. Surrey

Own Image - A Surrey scene.

City girl meets country girl.
Majority of those who know me would laugh till they cry if I announced that I, Christine, would be living on a farm. Who doesn't love a farm though? The roaming green grass, the clear blue sky...the smell of cow sh&*...
Welcome to Surrey - the place where you can have it all. You can wear your pink Hunter wellies without dirtying them up in the nasty. Sold?

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (out of many, many more) pure and simple reasons why although I might not have the passport (yet) or the heritage, I am an Englander by heart.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that we discovered it together. :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your post through Jeanne. I love England, as well, so I really enjoyed reading some of the reasons that you love it. My daughter moved a few months ago to Bicester. So we will be visiting in the fall. It has been too many years since I have seen so many of my favorite places.

    Great post.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and thanks for reading!

Have a fabulous day :)

xo Christine